On Friday 30 June 2006 13:15, Jacek Poplawski wrote:
> Hardware acceleration is always on assuming your system is set up
>
> > properly.  If an application uses a feature that is not supported by
> > hardware, you have to fall back to software if you want the
> > application to run.
>
> But in that case many applications won't run correctly, because they are
> tested with propertary nVidia/ATI drivers, and their authors don't know /
> don't care about open source drivers. And it is not possible to fix closed
> source application.

That complaint is only partially correct. They test on nvidia only, and tell
anyone who uses anything DRI based (which includes ati binary drivers) to
screw off, even though nvidia is at fault for not doing the correct thing in
the first place.

What nvidia does on Linux may fly on Windows, but it doesn't fly here: if you
make a 3D driver, you use Mesa as your OpenGL lib, and you use DRI as your
HAL.

If you don't like Mesa or DRI because it is "buggy" or "slow" or "backwards",
then either fix the so called bugs, or quit bitching.
</rant>

--
Patrick McFarland || www.AdTerrasPerAspera.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,