Ian Romanick wrote:

>>>Ah, sounds like a plan. I thought the NotifyBegin would only be useful
>>>for vtxfmt-replace like things. I'll look into that.
>>
>>That was too fast. The NotifyBegin will only be called if there is
>>actually new state, otherwise the tnl module will simply keep adding new
>>primitives.
>

> I think the core should be modified to call NotifyBegin if there is new
> state *or* the primitive type changes.  Perhaps there should be a flag
> to request it being called in that case.
>
> Brian, do you have an opinion on this?

The tnl module is pretty much Keith's domain.

One thing to keep in mind is glPolygonMode.  Depending on whether a
triangle is front or back-facing, it may either be rendered as a
filled triangle, lines, or the vertices rendered as GL_POINTS (which
may be sprites!).  I think cases like that might be a fallback.

Anyway, even if glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES) is called, you may wind up
rendering lines, points or sprites instead of triangles.

Off-hand I don't know how this is currently handled in the DRI
drivers.  Keith would know.

-Brian