Ben,

I've implemented a version of the drm_mm code that unmaps ptes using
unmap_mapping_range, and remaps IO space using io_remap_pfn_range() for
a single page in nopage. This has the side effect that I need to double
check in nopage() after taking the object mutex that the pte in question
hasn't been populated by a racing nopage, which means I have to include
some page table walking code. I can see no obvious performance drops
from populating one pte at a time.

This makes the need for an io-page aware nopage() or an
io_remap_pfn_range() that doesn't BUG on populated page tables quite
obvious.

What is the status of the NOPAGE_RETRY mechanism in 2.6.19?

/Thomas