Greetings -- I'm trying to accelerate horizontal scroll on nvidia
GeForce 2 Go with free nv driver(s), and wonder whether nouveau is the
solution -- with its 2D acceleration.

The rationale is this: I am installing and configuring Linux on a
tablet PC, Compaq TC1000.  I've managed most everything to work.  One
of the best things you can do with a tablet is to read the web in
vertical mode.  The native nvidia drivers support randr and scroll
fast in the rotated mode.
However, binary nvidia drivers can't hibernate, which is a non-starter
for my mobile usage.

The free nv driver supports randr as well, but landscape scrolling is
slow.  While trying to make binary nvidia drivers to fall asleep, I've
disabled all AGP, and now wonder what's the right way to enable it
back for the free nv driver.  Also -- does vesafb have anything to do
with it?  I enabled vesafb-tng instead of the standard vesafb as it's
more conducive of hibernation.  There's also an nvidiafb module, and I
wonder how that interacts with X, if at all.

But since nouveau says it focuses on 2D, I tried to configure it --
getting git clone just now -- and got this:

-- first autogen.sh run -- complains about AC_DISABLE_STATIC and something else;
-- second time:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/s/c/git/nouveau/mesa/drm> ./autogen.sh
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
libdrm/Makefile.am:21: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
libdrm/Makefile.am:21:
libdrm/Makefile.am:21: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
libdrm/Makefile.am:21: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

In fact I see AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is defined in configure.ac.  I have
automake 1.9.6.  Is drm version-dependent, or I need some more mesa
components or something else?

Cheers,
Alexy