When trying to make nvidia drivers sleep, and then later get nouveau
to work, I got hopelessly confused about various pieces of video
hardware/software and their mutual entanglements.  I'd much
appreciates if one of you esteemed video sages takes a few steps
towards deconfusion.

The TLAs floating in this soup are

AGP
DRI
DRM

Obviously, we need a new DRM driver for nouveau as it says to compile
it.  This installs library libdrm.so -- who uses it?  We're talking of
DRM, while X refers to DRI?

Then there's a whole framebuffer dimension.  Various reports suggest
to use vesafb-tng driver instead of the standard vesafb.  Thus, it
interacts with nvidia drivers -- how?  I see Xorg.0.log referring to
the framebuffer...  And we also have nvidiafb driver.  Can/should it
be used with the free nv/nouveau Xorg driver?

In addition, there's the vbetool utility and Option "VBERestore" --
how do those interact with framebuffer/nouveau?

so here's the rest of the list:

agp drivers
glx drivers/libs
libdrm.so
--
vesafb
vesafb-tng

Which of these work together must be taken care of for running and
accelerating nv/nouveau properly?

Cheers,
Alexy