On Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:54 am Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Jesse Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 20, 2007, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
> > > Added structs and ioctls for modesetting in kernel
> >
> > And just to give you an idea of the sorts of structures and layout
> > I've been working with, here's what I was playing with today.
> > Right now it just grabs the EDID data from the LVDS panel on my
> > laptop, but I figured that's a good start since I'll need mode
> > timing information from somewhere anyway to set modes correctly.
> > There's still lots to be done and quite a few open questions, but
> > it's probably good to get a few eyes on it at this point.
>
> while we are moving stuff to the drm, perhaps we should take the time
> to add support for multiple buffers and address translation.  Then in
> the drm we could set up the scan out buffers, etc. however we want
> and then expose them to X in a standard fashion.

Yes, I definitely think we should do this.  Some sort of scanout buffer
allocation will be minimally required for this new modesetting code to
work.  I'm still in the process of reviewing Thomas's (huge) TTM patch,
which may get us most of the way there.

> X could assume they
> are just one big screen and the drm would deal with the translation
> to the appropriate buffers.  We could use this to work around HW
> pitch or coordinate limits.  It would also make support for multiple
> cards easier as the userspace drm common layer could dispatch to
> different local or network devices (think expanding your desktop
> across multiple PCs).

I haven't thought it that far through yet, but it may be a possibility.
I think X would still want to know about multiple screens though, since
some applications may want to treat different screens specially (e.g.
no IM popups on a presentation screen for example).

Jesse