On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 07:38 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:

I can't answer the hard questions, but I think I've got a reasonable
answer for the easy one...

>   o what should the initial config be?  cloned?  multihead?  single,
>     primary head with other heads initialized to a blank screen?

The X server has some built-in policy for what the starting mode should
look like. I think we should be able to build that into the kernel and
leave more complicated policies to user-mode.

     1. Identify outputs with 'preferred' modes.
     2. If no preferred mode, pick an output, set it to 96dpi
     3. All other outputs get the closest mode which is no larger than
        the mode selected above
     4. Fit CRTCs to the output configuration by searching for the best
        match, scoring preferred modes 2, other modes 1, no mode 0.
     5. Clone everybody.

Cloning seems like the obviously right plan to me; we want to make the
boot-up output visible, and we don't expect to need more than one
screen. The worst thing that could happen in clone mode is that the user
will see more than one copy of the boot messages.

I'm looking forward to our new DRM overlords.