-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: James C Georgas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Roland Scheidegger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GL_CLAMP on D3D-only hardware
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:30:51 -0400

On Sun, 2007-12-08 at 12:42 +0200, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> Alex Jackson wrote:
> >> Neither the i830 nor 965gm actually support GL_CLAMP natively (yay
> >> for d3d-only hardware). The different appearance is caused by the
> >> 965 driver mapping GL_CLAMP to GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER while the i830
> >> maps it to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE. The 965 driver has a comment saying
> >> that glconform prefers GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER, while the i830 has a
> >> comment saying that the Windows GL driver uses GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.
> >>
> >> Several other drivers (savage, sis, unichrome) map GL_CLAMP to
> >> GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.
> >>
> >> What should I do now?
> >>
> >> 1) Fix the 965 driver to make GL_CLAMP work correctly (icky, and
> >> will be slower). 2) Use GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE in the 965 driver. 3) Use
> >> GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER in the i830 driver. 4) Nothing.
> >
> > If feasible, I'd make it configurable via a .drirc option whether to
> > map to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE or to GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER, and make the former
> >  the default.  This change should be made in both 965 and i830, and
> > ideally in all the other drivers where the hardware natively supports
> >  both GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE and GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER but not GL_CLAMP.
> >
> > Cursory Googling suggests that it's very common for other OpenGL
> > implementations to map GL_CLAMP to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE (even if that's
> > less conformant), and that consequently there're likely quite a few
> > other OpenGL applications floating around in the wild that use
> > GL_CLAMP when they mean GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.
> Indeed this show up every once in a while. A driconf option might be a
> good idea, but it doesn't solve the problem really for the hardware
> which indeed does support GL_CLAMP, unless you'd also introduce an
> option to make it non-conformant GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE there too (which was
> suggested in the past). So the only real solution is to tell the app
> writers to fix their code. If you'd want to fix this in the driver
> without requiring user intervention, you'd need app detection (ugh).
>
> Roland

I think I've mentioned this before, WRT the radeon driver and some old
loki games, like HG2. Since we can't fix the code in these kinds of
apps, I think that a driconf option would be a good solution. It can
default to the conforming behaviour, and be overridden on a per app
basis. It's a non-intrusive solution which allows fine grained control.

Besides, It's been ages singe I've been able to play HG2 without the
annoying grid lines :)

James