At XDS and on IRC we've been discussing how to deal with backward
compatibility (i.e. old Mesa & X on new DRM) once we have things like
full TTM and modesetting support in the kernel.

The preferred option at this point seems to be to add a new kernel
config option, e.g. CONFIG_DRM_MODESETTING or similar.  Enabling the
option would prevent old X servers and Mesa from working with the DRM,
but they'd be otherwise unaffected.  Disabling it would retain full
compatibility at the expense of the kernel features.

Assuming we go in that direction, it seems like we'll want to hide some
of the existing (possibly dangerous) ioctls behind the new config
option.  Looking at the list, it seems like we'd want to hide map
manipulation and probably the old buffer ioctls?

Taking the changes even further, we could also control whether drivers
use a new-style load function or the old style (i.e. DRM core calls
into the driver or the driver calls DRM helpers to do things).  This is
already partly necessary since the map ioctls can't really be supported
with a modesetting driver, so we may as well go all the way.

Any thoughts here?  I can start refactoring this stuff in the
modesetting tree assuming we have agreement on some of the major
portions.

Thanks,
Jesse