> Dave,
> As mentioned previously to Eric, I think we should keep the single
> buffer validate interface with the exception that the hint
> DRM_BO_HINT_DONT_FENCE is implied, and use that instead of the set pin
> interface. We can perhaps rename it to drmBOSetStatus or something more
> suitable.
>
> This will get rid of the user-space unfenced list access (which I
> believe was the main motivation behind the set pin interface?) while
> keeping the currently heavily used (at least in Poulsbo) functionality
> to move out NO_EVICT scanout buffers to local memory before unpinning
> them, (to avoid VRAM and TT fragmentation, as DRI clients may still
> reference those buffers, so they won't get destroyed before a new one is
> allocated).
>
> It would also allow us to specify where we want to pin buffers. If we
> remove the memory flag specification from drmBOCreate there's no other
> way to do that, except running the buffer through a superioctl which
> isn't very nice.
>
> Also it would make it much easier to unbreak i915 zone rendering and
> derived work.
>
> If we can agree on this, I'll come up with a patch.

I'm quite happy to have this type of interface I can definitely see its
uses.. we also need to investigate some sort of temporary NO_MOVE like
interface (the NO_MOVE until next fencing...) in order to avoid
relocations, but it might be possible to make this driver specific..

Keith P also had an idea for relocation avoidance in the simple case which
I've allowed for in my interface, we could use the 4th uint32_t in the
relocation to pass in the value we've already written and only relocate it
if the buffers location changes, so after doing one superioctl, the
validated offsets would be passed back to userspace and used by it and we
only have to relocate future buffers if the buffers move..

Dave.