On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:43:18PM +0100, Stephane Marchesin wrote:

> This is what I want to do too. Especially since in the nvidia case we don't
> have the issue of routing vblank interrupts to user space for that.
>
> So, the only issue I'm worried about is the latency induced by this
> approach. When the DRM does the swaps you can ensure it'll get executed
> pretty fast. If X has been stuffing piles of commands into its command
> buffer, it might not be so fast. What this means is that 3D might be slowed
> down by 2D rendering (think especially of the case of EXA fallbacks which
> will sync your fifo). In that case, ensuring a no-fallback EXA would become
> relevant in achieving smooth 3D performance. But at least it solves the
> issue of sluggish OpenGL window moves and resizes (/me looks at the nvidia
> binary driver behaviour).
>
> Stephane

I likely got problem with my mail as i think my previous mail didn't get
through. Anyway i am all for having X server responsible for swapping
buffer. For solving a part of the above problem we might have two context
(fifo) for X server: one for X drawing, one for X swapping buffer.

The swap context (fifo) is a top priority things and should preempt others
context (fifo). An outcome of this is that we might like a simple gpu
scheduler for such case (and maybe other in the future) but obviously such
scheduler will be highly hw dependent.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse