On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 08:47 +0100, Thomas Hellström wrote:

> In the case of a re-used batch-buffer, user-space mapping will wait for
> the right fence before filling it, so when the buffer is submitted to
> the super-ioctl and validated, it's put on the unfenced list, cannot
> move while patched up, and everything is fine. This is the only case
> we've dealt with so far, and should be OK for i915.

Right, the batch buffer will have been modified in user space, and hence
fenced nicely.

> If it happens to be a reused state buffer that is not mapped by
> user-space in between  command submissions, the code should call
> drm_bo_wait() (bo mutex locked) before actually writing to the buffer.

965 state buffers will refer to other objects which may move. Of course,
those other objects should be fenced along with the state buffer, so
things 'should' work out fine.

> Since it's still on the unfenced list (but at the same time retaining
> its old fence if any) until submitted or an error occurs, it can't be
> evicted at this point.
> This is not done in the current Intel code, and will be needed for i965
> if this case occurs?

Ok, I'll look at adding this then; it 'should' be free as any ability
for the state buffer to need updating will be predicated on the
referenced object moving, which would have required the relevant fence
to have passed.

> The important thing is that kernel bo mapping is not implicitly waiting
> for buffer idle.

This seems wrong to me; we must wait for the buffer to be idle before
writing to it from the CPU. With relocation caching, this shouldn't
cause additional waits if the application is working properly, but it
seems like you're breaking the mapping invariant here.