José Fonseca wrote:
> I'll dedicate some time now to reorganize gallium's code & build process.
> This is
> stuff which has been discussed internally at TG several times, but this time I
> want to get it done.
>
> My objectives are:
>  - leaner and more easy to understand/navigate source tree
>  - reduce (or even eliminate) merges between private branches of the common
> gallium parts
>  - help keep the gallium tree portable, by keeping things separate.
>
> My plan is:
>
> 1. Physically separate gallium source code from mesa code. This will be the
> final layout:
>
> - src/mesa
> - src/gallium
>   - state_tracker
>     - ogl
>     - ...

I think the one thing I'd say is that the GL state tracker is really a
part of Mesa -- it's effectively a Mesa driver which targets the Gallium
interfaces rather than some piece of hardware.

Given that the gallium interface is fairly water-tight (ie. you can't
reach round it to some driver internals) compared to the Mesa driver
interface which is basically "just include all the mesa internal
headers", I think it will become clear if you try and do this that the
state_tracker will sit pretty uncomfortably anywhere other than inside
mesa...

I think further if you consider future 'state trackers', most of them
won't really belong inside a gallium tree either.  For instance if we
did a GL3 implementation that targeted Gallium as its driver interface,
there would not really be any distinct state tracker component - you'd
just have the OpenGL3 core emitting Gallium calls directly.

I think we'll end up with things like the Mesa state tracker where we're
integrating with existing environments - mesa being the prototype.

In general these things are best considered as clients of Gallium,
rather than parts of Gallium itself.

Keith