On Saturday, 23 February 2008 10:57:16 Keith Packard wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 21:41 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> > According to datasheets, the G965 does have a hardware overlay.
> > Dumping the regs of device in overlay range also shows that this unit isn't
> > removed.
> > Can somebody tell me why it is disabled?
>
> It doesn't have the old scaling overlay hardware, all it has is a
> non-scaling overlay. I'm not entirely sure why one would ever use it, my
> guess is that it could be used to keep a video image out of the frame
> buffer so that screen grabbing wouldn't work.

Hi,
Thanks for the information.

I guess that intel datasheets are out of date, since they do
include info about scaling and YUV overlay:

Volume3:

3.2.10 Overlay Destination Window Position/Size Registers
3.2.11 Overlay Source Size Registers
I a not sure the above registers can implement scaling, probably only clipping.

3.2.12 Overlay Scale Factor Registers
This says it all

3.2.16 Overlay Scaling Registers
This is removed, but this seems to be a additional scaler, aka a fast one.

Thanks for information
        Best regards,
                Maxim Levitsky