On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:42:24 -0400
"Erik Boettcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello everyone, I'm a community college student interested in working
> on dri for Google Summer of Code.  I was reading over the r300 todo
> list, http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300ToDo, and the code and I
> think a combination of those first items listed under "General
> Optimization" would be a good gsoc project:
>
> # [HARD] Cleanup the code which really needs it. You could help by
> looking at the code, see what's useless, and propose to erase it.
> # [MEDIUM] Check for common stuff in the code and put it into the
> radeon source folder.
> # [EASY] Document the register names in r300_reg.h from what is in the
> source, and then update r300 state.
> # [MEDIUM] Check which files came from r200 and can be updated from
> the code changes that happened there.
> These items make up the bulk of what I'm interested in proposing.
> I've seen a lot of duplicated code, but I have not worked with it
> enough to find out what is unneeded yet.
>
> # [HARD] Rework the way we handle state change, we are likely the
> worst example among all DRI drivers on the way we handle this. Take a
> look at the i915 or nouveau driver to see how this could be improved.
> Another great example is i965.
> This one I need to look into a bit more, and I don't know if I should
> tackle this yet.
>
> Right now I'm heading out but I plan to hammer out a final proposal
> tomorrow as I read more code.  I'm wondering what you guys would like
> to see in this proposal and if you have any other suggestions for me.
> This seems like a viable project, and I'd really like to work with you
> guys.
>
> - Erik Boettcher

He would definitly be a good way to get started on radeon, my only concern
is we are going to move away from this code base for r300 but any work you
do would still be valuable in the mean time, so i wouldn't encourage you to
go through all the hard task especialy the last one. If you want someone to
mentor tell me even though i don't know how GSOC work :). Also anothers
things that is worth working on is :

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300FragmentProgramOptimization

This item can we worked out without driver, basicly take llvm, take llvm
code out of gallium (few files) then you should be able to work on this
separatly from the tree, i think this is best way right now to work on
fragment program optimization. Such work would be also valuable as ground
for r500 and r600, r700 hw support.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>