On Thursday 01 May 2008 07:16:36 am Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:51:45 -0700
>
> vehemens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The primary goal is to update the BSD drm code with the recent linux
> > changes including linux drm memory management code.  I haven't seen
> > anything in the code that would prevent this from occurring, but I'm new
> > at this.
>
> I don't know how close you are to BSD kernel people but i guess they
> are the one to know best what they want. I think linux will slowly
> (timeframe being a year or little bit more) move to kernel modesetting.
> So the question is does BSD folks like this idea or not, there is
> many security implication in this and getting it right is not trivial.
> So maybe ask the BSD kernel community on their feeling about drm
> and drm+memory manager+modesetting.

I'll drop them a line, and see what suggestions they have.  As a user, I would
like to see most of the linux DRM features incorporated,

> If they like it, i suggest porting memory manager first, then modesetting
> (you need memory manager for modesetting at least i strongly discourage
> to do it without one).

Currently I'm merging the core code which results in mostly using the linux
code with some macros and ifdefs.  There are a few things I plan to keep from
the freebsd side however.  Once I get the baseline merged, I will begin work
on the memory manager.