> Spliting the cmd before they get submited is the way to go, likely we can
> ask the kernel for estimate of available memory and so userspace can stop
> building cmd stream but this isn't easy. Well anyway this would be a
> userspace problem. Anyway we still will have to fail in superioctl if
> for instance memory fragmentation get in the way.

It is easy, I did it for i915/i965 already, you just need a prepare/commit
stage for state atoms and all buffers referenced.

We should never fail for memory fragmentation unless we are really
screwed, for the userspace memory manager fixes I ended up destroying all
memory objects are relaying them out to fit the buffers in. With pinned
buffers this may not be so easy, but really we need to have pinned buffers
on one end of the aperture and others on the other end, also ideally I'd
like to have in-kernel support (modesetting) for moving all pinned buffers
if needs be. This means no userspace pinning if we can avoid it.

Dave.