On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Keith Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:03 +0200, Thomas Hellström wrote:
>
>> Yes, unless it's to enforce a local permission model, like the old DRM
>> shmem maps did.
>
> Abusing GEM objects to hold state which never touches the graphics card
> is an ugly way to accomplish this.

I guess it's easy and convenient to shoot this part of the design down
at this point, but please consider:

 - at the time I did this, TTM was the one memory manager and already
supported this feature.

 - using a drm provided shared memory scheme re-uses the existing auth scheme.

 - doesn't introduce exotic dependencies to something that's
*supposedly* an os-agnostic feature.  Of course, even Linux doesn't
have a memory manager yet, so worrying about depending on shm_open()
is academic.

Anyway, with the brouhaha out the way, I do agree that just using
regular posix shared memory is nicer and more flexible and I have a
set of patches that implements it.  I'll probably change the DRI
interface to make it accept a void pointer for the sarea, so for cases
like EGL where reader and writer of the sarea are in the same process,
you can just malloc the sarea.

cheers,
Kristian