On Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:55 am Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:13:51 -0700
>
> Jesse Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In a shameless attempt to capitalize on the recent enthusiasm for
> > documenting things, I've put together a skeletal DRM developer guide.
>
> Yay! \o/
>
> > The attached PDF was generated from the attached DocBook template, and
> > references Linux kernel doc comments in the sources.  Unfortunately, the
> > current DRM has a mix of Linux kernel doc and doxygen documentation, and
> > only some of the very recent stuff is actually accurate and usable.
>
> Btw. which should be used in DRM, Linux kernel doc or doxygen? Without the
> bsd directory the answer would be obvious to me.

I don't know... that's one of my questions too. :)  Linux stuff tends to use
kernel doc/DocBook, but it looks like the original DRI stuff was in doxygen.
I like the look of kernel doc a bit better, but I don't know much about the
tool capabilities.

> I have only a couple minor comments as a newbie.
>
> Driver initialization:
> - talks about struct drm_device, then the example has struct drm_driver.
> Is there a difference?

Yes, I'll clarify that.

> - proper indenting of sample code missing, makes the drm_driver example
> a bit awkward to read

I'll try to fix that up, I'm still wrestling with DocBook.

> VBlank event handling:
> - the last paragraph "...vblank functions into no-ops." seems
> contradicting the previous paragraph.

That section needs more work (along with the rest), I'll try to add more
detail.

> I'm very much looking forward to the next revision with more
> goodies. :-)

Cool, thanks for checking it out.

I'd definitely encourage people to try porting current drivers to the new mode
setting & memory management interfaces; I think it would encourage a lot of
questions, and the answers could go straight into the doc, which should help
everyone.

Thanks,
Jesse