I've just pushed a interface change to gallium.

A finer grained pipe_screen::is_format_supported was needed. Namely,
it needed to distinguish among different pipe_texture_targets, as
hardware some times has limitations in the formats that can be used
for cubemaps and texturemaps. The same thing goes for non-square
sizes, and non power of of two sizes.

And since I need to change the interface, I used this opportunity to
drop PIPE_SURFACE vs PIPE_TEXTURE outdated distinction, replacing it
by the tex_usage flags (PIPE_TEXTURE_USAGE_RENDER_TARGET  and/or
PIPE_TEXTURE_USAGE_DISPLAY_TARGET).

In summary, this is how the new is_format_supported looks like:

   /**
    * Check if the given pipe_format is supported.
    *
    * \param tex_usage  bitmask of PIPE_TEXTURE_USAGE_*
    * \param flags  a bitmask of PIPE_TEXTURE_GEOM_SQUARE and
    * PIPE_TEXTURE_GEOM_NONPOWEROFTWO
    */
   boolean (*is_format_supported)( struct pipe_screen *,
                                   enum pipe_format format,
                                   enum pipe_texture_target target,
                                   unsigned tex_usage,
                                   unsigned geom_flags );