Hey,

I have pushed the DRI2 update to the dri2proto, mesa, xserver, and
xf86-video-intel trees in ~krh.  It's on the master branch in those
repos.  This change breaks the dri2 protocol and the dri2 module api,
but nothing was ever released that used those interfaces.  The code
isn't quite there yet, but I wanted to make it available for comments
and discussion.  It's still missing the direct rendering dri2 part of
mesa, so to try this out, just build and install the intel driver, not
src/glx, and use AIGLX.  I'm pretty sure that I'm close to having it
working, but I'm chasing a bug that wedges my hardware, so progress is
a bit slow right now.

The way this works now, is that when ctx->Driver.Viewport is called
(and thus at least when binding a drawable to a context), the DRI
driver calls back to the loader, which then calls into the DRI2 module
to get the buffers associated with the drawable.  The DRI2 module in
turns calls into the DDX driver to allocate these and sends them back
to the DRI driver, which updates the renderbuffers to use the given
buffers.  When glXSwapBuffers is called, the loader calls into the DRI
driver to finish the frame (this part is missing currently) and then
calls into the DRI2 module to actually do the back buffer to front
buffer copy.  The DRI2 module again implements this using a hook into
the DDX driver.  The code right now just does a generic CopyArea, and
then flushes the batch buffer.  Swap buffer needs to be a round trip
so the swap buffer commands are emitted before the DRI driver proceeds
to render the next frame.  Since we just end up calling CopyArea,
damage is posted automatically and now DRI magically works with SW
cursors.

Finally, the DRI2 module is no longer directly dependent on libdrm or
anything xfree86, so we could lift it to dix level.

Anyway, back to chasing that bug...
Kristian