Dave,

This process looks ok to me,
but I think some clarifications are needed:

Dave Airlie wrote:
> Okay I've put some thoughts up at:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DRMProcess
>
> and I've pasted it in below this for discussion.
>
> some other points:
>
> a) People are pushing for a process change, we will have something
> change, however this isn't a who shouts loudest competition, so more
> than likely you'll end up compromising, deal with the fact that
> nirvana for you may be hell for others.
>
> b) BSD developers do exist now, giving out that they didn't exist in
> the past or aren't adding features is pointless. Would you seriously
> start developing features before
> getting the code caught up?. So live with the fact that we should help
> the BSD guys *if* its practical. So we shouldn't do anything major
> that alienates their further development.
> (personally I care little for BSD, the license or the OSes, however
> I'm attempting to be some way fair).
>
> c) We get testers from drm master, we get better testers using drm
> master for features than a separate kernel tree. We get better
> regression tests from getting stuff upstream. However upstreaming
> stuff to Linus is not how to find regressions, it helps but its
> suboptimal in that he will eventually ignore us if the regression rate
> gets too high. So upstreaming is great for features like GEM, however
> it would suck for something like vblank-rework. This appears to point
> at, upstream is great if you touch one driver and exist in your own
> world, however if you want interfaces that all drivers can use like
> vbl-rework you need to work somewhere else or carry two interfaces
> until everyone is ported.
>
> So lets see if we can improve this for everyone...
>
> Dave.
>

> DRM Development Process (Proposed)

> 1. All patches to be sent to the mailing list with S-O-B, no patches
> to be committed to master branch. Nothing goes upstream or into master
> without Signed-off-by and maintainers Signed-off-by. 2. Do not mix
> cleanup and developement ever. If you move a bunch of registers or
> code into a separate file, do just that in one patch. 3. Backwards
> compat patches in separate patches. So first patch should be
> upstreamable, backwards compat patches should be in sequence.

Let's say we rework a driver completely, including DDX, to support GEM /
TTM or whatever.
The driver is, in effect, a "new" driver and there are no intermediate
versions of drm
that could be of interest really, since they wouldn't work with any of
the user-space
clients. So no bisecting is possible. Would it be OK to treat such work
as a new driver
and post it as a (URL to)  single patch?

> Upstream first policy
>
> This policy places a restriction on users of the drm, i.e. Mesa, DDX,
> X server. No upstream release should include code that hasn't been
> included in a Linux kernel release cycle. Upstream can use a
> --enable-experimental-kernel-api type flag but default build should
> never require any unreleased kernel/drm API to build or run. Distros
> should not enable experimental APIs in releases, unless they are
> willing to version their kernel and other components against each
> other and deal with the fallout of API changes.
>
> All userspace APIs need to be submitted to dri-devel and to the Linux
> kernel list, also all patches which need exports or use new non-drm
> kernel functionality should be reviewed by both lists.

Are driver-specific IOCTL interfaces included in this?

Regards,
Thomas