On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 10:54 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Does that still provide good enough latency to prevent tearing though,
> e.g. with reduced blanking modes?

It now depends on the scheduler and what else is running on the system.
Yes, this is not ideal, but the sketch of how DRI2 would work that we
discussed during XDS would use an entirely different mechanism which is
not subject to this issue.

The issue here is that the ring is now protected by a mutex, and so we
cannot insert commands to the main ring in a context where we cannot
sleep. Correctness requires that we respect the ring access rules.

> Will changes like these outside of the i915 driver still be merged to
> drm Git?

Dave Airlie talked about doing some back-porting work to pull DRM
changes from Linux back to the drm repository. I'm not sure anyone has
gotten started doing this in earnest yet.