Thanks Jesse, I have intel kernel modesetting working in some way now. It
works on the initial (first) text-mode switch.

But the bug still stands where if it's in gfx mode, THEN i switch to a text
console, I just get vertical lines.

I realize now that now that the text is actually there, it's just the wrong
monitor frequency or something, because i see the text flash up very quickly
and slantendly/magic-eye-style-repeatedly, and then just dotted vertical
lines.

This is on a Fujitsu Lifebook S6510 notebook, on its built in LCD.

Does that behaviour sound like the gfx card sending the wrong LCD
refresh/sync frequency to you?

tom.

--
Tom.