On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 13:14 +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:45:21PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 00:06 +0100, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This mga patch replaces a firmware that was split in pieces by
> > > functionality and that had comments with a single blob.
> >
> > Each pipe's code was converted to a seperate line of the ihex file.
> >
> > > So IMO it's actually decreasing the quality of the code.
> >
> > You can read the microcode?!
>
> Each blob matches a specific set of pipe flags. The pipe flags are part
> of the userspace API. So the correct order of the blobs is very important.

I assumed the pipe flags were determined by the hardware.  Regardless, I
have no intention of trying to reorder them!

> > I believe it's possible to include comments in ihex files, so the pipe
> > names could be added as comments.  I don't really see the point though -
> > who's going to be editing them?
>
> AFAICS your code doesn't the convey the MGA_WARP_FOO <-> specific ucode
> blob mapping in any way. The old code made that part very clear. I
> suppose sufficient comments whould be enough to fix the problem. You
> should also do 'where = MGA_WARP_TGZ' instead of 'where = 0' when copying
> the ucode.

It's iterating over the pipes in order so it clearly needs to start with
pipe 0.  The fact that pipe 0 is TGZ is definitely not significant in
the iteration.

> Or perhaps you should even unroll the loop and use the
> WARP_UCODE_INSTALL() approach to keep the intention crystal clear.

Now that's just silly.

Ben.