> > This branch has a merge in it, due to conflicts with the Intel drm tree
> > you already pulled. I've asked Eric to not send you direct pulls, he
> > mentioned you said he should, but it really screws over my tree. I don't
> > mind direct pulls outside the merge window as it usually smaller bug
> > fixes, but during the merge window the chances of it getting messy like
> > this tree has become just increase.
>
> Qutie frankly, I don't like how you always rebased patches, so I'd _much_
> rather see direct pulls than the alternative. And I can handle most merge
> issues, and will ask submaintainers to merge for me only if it gets really
> complicated.
>
> If this encourages people to keep DRI drivers more modular and
> independent, that's all good.

That's fine you only requested I stop rebasing Eric's tree since the last
merge window, I haven't had to pull it since then to send to you. This
merge there was 3 conflicts, I think they were mostly trivial, however
there was also a warning fix in i915 for a return type not checked that
no-one else picked up on.

I'm still awaiting Documentation/linus-rules-for-git-trees.txt. I'm sure
every other maintainer who is just guessing what the rules are would
appreciate it as well. We don't all have the time of Ingo to do a branch
per patch with a scary octopus merge every few weeks.

My plans from now on are just to send you non-linear trees, whenever I
merge a patch into my next tree thats when it stays in there, I'll pull
Eric's tree directly into my tree and then I'll send the results, I
thought we cared about a clean merge history but as I said without some
document in the kernel tree I've up until now had no real idea what you
wanted.

Dave.