So I've been playing a bit more with DRI2 and I'm having trouble
finding how the buffer creation was meant to work for depth buffers.

If my app uses a visual
0xbc 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None

which is 24-bits + 16-bit depth, I don't have enough information in
the DDX to create a depth buffer with a cpp of 2, the DDX
can only see the drawable information it knows nothing about the visual.

Now it goes and creates a set of 4 buffers to give back to Mesa, which
then goes and takes the cpp of the depth buffer as 4
when clearly it would need to be 2, then bad things happen.

So should I just be creating the depth buffer in Mesa, does the DDX
need to know about it all really...

Dave.