Dave Airlie wrote:
>> This is more of a question than a patch...
>>
>> 1)  Is DRM_CONTROL_ALLOW still relevant?  If yes, does it make sense to add a
>> check for it in drm_ioctl as per the patch below?
>
> It's relevant but not really used properly yet, I think that may be a
> missing patch from kms port.

OK, I'll submit a patch with that one-liner just for completeness.

>> 2)  Is it really necessary to have DRM_MASTER set on the "getter" ioctl's or
>> can they be removed as per the patch below?
>
> Thats a good question, I think the main problem is for example the
> getconnector can cause side effects, I'm not really sure what use these
> ioctls are to non-master apps except for test apps in which case they
> should be master.

In that case, I'm back to my "stupid" question:  how does a test-app become
master?  As far as I can see, the current master needs to drop its master
status
before the test app can become master... but it's not clear to me how the test
app should signal to the current master that it wants to become master, and
then
to signal to the original master to become master again when the test app is
done.  Or is this all irrelevant because every master runs in its own VT anyway
and the master-switching happens at chvt level???

/Jonas