On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Abraham Varricatt
<abraham.varric...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply Jerome.
>
> I was hoping that I could join in the development of the API or
> something, but if it's more than a year old ...
>
> The test applications in libdrm bug me. I can understand that
> development was started with intel hardware, but is it possible to
> make the 2 tests, well, more generic? Or is it that if someone else
> attempts to use GEM to support non-intel hardware, they'll have to
> write up their own test applications?
>
> That just sounds like a waste of effort to me. i.e. a new set of test
> applications for every new hardware. Am I understanding things
> correctly here, or did I miss something?

The test apps currently only work on intel, because that's the only
place they've been developed.  There's nothing inherently intel
specific about modetest.c, except that it hard codes calls to the
intel memory manager.  If you want to support multiple types of
graphics hw, you would start by abstracting out the few lines that
allocate the front buffer.  Then you can use libudev
(drm_open_matching in tests/drmtest.c) to discover drm devices and
determine their pci id, and from that determine which allocation
function to use.

cheers,
Kristian