On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Daniel Stone<dan...@fooishbar.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:39:17PM -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>> If we want to do better (and if we care about security enhanced X in a
>> [... snipped for brevity ...]
>> session server is a client of a system display server.  Which is why
>
> ... ? :)

Yes, sorry, that got a little long and incoherent.  I blame sleep
deprivation :)  There's a couple of valid points in there, though:

 1) Yes, let's remove root requirement from DRM_IOCTL_AUTH_MAGIC.

 2) DRM authentication is compromised by the dropMaster/setMaster
ioctls used to support DRI capable X servers on multiple VTs.
Authentication is a global flag on the filp, and isn't restricted to
the resources provided by the authenticating master (X server).  So a
DRI client from one server can now get at the front buffer from
another server.

The rest of the mail is rambling about whether we care about this and
if so ideas for solving it.  The XACE work is trying "harden" the
protocol to prevent clients from writing to the root window, reading
out pixels from other windows etc.  If we're serious about that
effort, we need to think about a better authentication scheme since
right now drm is a big back door to the protocol from the XACE point
of view.  Which resources are you authenticating to access, and how do
we enforce that?

The session / system display server is something I've started thinking
about for wayland: in the case where you have several sessions, multi
seat, fast user switching, or graphical vt's, native rdp clients,
native qemu sessions, you'll want some process in charge of switching
between those sessions.  I'm calling that a system compositor, and it
could be a wayland server... or an X server, I suppose.  As a client
of the system compositor, you have your GNOME session running in a
nested X server or a Moblin session running under a nested wayland
server or whatever.  At that point you have two simultaneous
authentication domains active and clients from the Moblin session
should not be able to go peeking into the system compositors buffers.

cheers,
Kristian