On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Steven Noonan<ste...@uplinklabs.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm getting a kernel panic when trying to run the latest git version
> of drm. I built it following the instructions from here:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building
>
> It's a very very predictable panic. Log in, 'startx', exit X11, and
> then after a couple seconds, panic.
>
> I unfortunately can't get a text version of the panic log, but I do
> have a photo: http://twitpic.com/b2yva
>
> Any ideas? More importantly, am I excluding any important information
> to help debug the issue?

It turns out that the problem is one of the RADEON_READs in
radeon_get_vblank_counter(). For some reason, the function is being
called after dev_priv->mmio is set to NULL, and when the pointer is
dereferenced, hell breaks loose.

So what's the proper fix for this? Another assertion with a DRM_ERROR
like the other two in that function, and then a quest to find why
radeon_get_vblank_counter() is called so late?

- Steven