Daniel Vetter wrote:

> In conclusion I don't think a common ioctl is worth it. But sharing some
> code and infrastructure on the kernel side is certainly possible, if
> someone implements overlay support for another chipset. But I don't really
> count on that, because at least radeon has textured video for all it's
> chips.

I understand your concerns about the new X architecture where everything
is composited, and I admit I haven't looked through your patch in detail.

However,
we'll _probably_ need to add overlay support to the Xorg gallium + KMS
state-tracker shortly, and if so, with that a generic KMS interface that
is sufficient to implement a simple Xv overlay adaptor with KMS.

Given the fact that Xv and various virtual device overlay support
implementations exist, I assume there *must* be a way to do this
generically. Perhaps not in the interest of sharing kernel code, but in
the interest of a single user-space interface and a single user-space
implementation supporting multiple hardware drivers.

Thanks,
/Thomas