For the most part, the driver should just implement sensible power
management itself. We don't want users to have to define complex power
management policies. In almost every case, if the user triggers a
graphics operation then they want it to complete as quickly as possible.
Autmatically upclocking in response to this is pretty easy on most
hardware. The only real problem comes with reclocking RAM on a
multi-head system. This has to be done during the vblank interval to
avoid data corruption, but syncing the vblanks on both displays may well
be difficult or impossible.

There's a small number of cases where we can't reconfigure a power
management state on the fly - the number of PCIe lanes is an example of
this. Changing it simply takes too long, and we drop several frames in
the process. The right kind of interface for that does require some
thought.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org