On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Eric Anholt <e...@anholt.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 13:30 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> From: Dave Airlie <airl...@redhat.com>
>>
>> Some GPUs (mostly in the lower server end of the market) have memory
>> bandwidth limitations that hit in the real world, however memory
>> bw calcs require bit depth to be worked out and at the moment, the
>> KMS interface doesn't know about bit depth until we set the mode.
>>
>> This "overloads" the connector_type_id in the get connector ioctl
>> to pass a depth value to the kernel code. A new libdrm API is added
>> to utilise this. libdrm has always set this to 0 up until now.
>>
>> This depth value is what the kms user proposed to use, the actual
>> API in libdrm is drmModeGetConnectorWithDepth and will follow
>> along.
>>
>> This patch also adds RN50 support to the radeon kms to check
>> the memory bandwidth calcs and refuse the higher modes on these
>> chips.
>
> So, is the assertion that on systems that have memory bandwidth
> limitations that get hit in practice, there's only one output?

I hadn't thought much about this but you are right it seems like
a limited assertion to make although at this point I'm guessing its
true. We have cards with multiple outputs but a single crtc in this case.

The two cards we hit this on with regularity are ATI RN50 and MGA G200SE.

If we have multi-crtc cards with limitations like this then we really need
the enhanced try before you buy modeset interface, as I'm not sure
how we could expose this limitation.

Dave.