On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:53:22 +0100
Stephane Marchesin <marche...@icps.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 18:07, Jesse Barnes
> <jbar...@virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> That's another issue, but 3 months is too quick to be stable (and I
> >> think no one but intel here wants to do 3 months cycles anyway).
> >
> > Btw the kernel releases every 3 months.
> >
> >> That's why libdrm should be following the kernel releases and go
> >> along with it: the kernel gets very wide testing and we'd hook on
> >> to that good testing crowd. Right now libdrm releases are
> >> virtually invisible to the OSS people. There's no serious
> >> development, no RCs, etc. Since wee can't even pretend to do
> >> proper releases, I'd say hook on to the kernel's as those work.
> >
> > I don't see big advantages to packaging it with the kernel, mainly
> > disadvantages.  I don't think it'll get wider testing if it's in the
> > kernel, and I don't think compatibility will be easier to maintain.
> >

> FWIW, you gave me the opposite argument when you decided that DRM
> development should happen in the kernel. Back then you used to say
> that we'd get more testers that way. Which one should I believe?

Testers for kernel code, yes.  Testers for libdrm code, no.  When I
install a new kernel I don't typically install new headers and all the
other junk that comes with the new kernel, I just install the vmlinuz
and make a new initrd if necessary.  I don't think I'm alone.

But even if we concede that libdrm would get more testers if included
in the kernel, there are still other issues to deal with.

> > There's a big downside too, since it makes packaging much harder.
> > Distros typically stick with one kernel for a relatively long time,
> > but if they want to pick up a libdrm fix unrelated to a new DRM
> > interface (like the one Remi pointed out) they'll have to grab a
> > recent kernel, extract libdrm, and make sure it works with their
> > current kernel (which may involve some extra work if new DRM
> > interfaces have gone in too).
> >

> Yes, but the positive side is that distros using a standard/old (about
> a year) kernel don't need to crawl the old libdrm repo and find the
> right version (in your case they have to do this ° backport stuff) ...
> I think that plus the fact that it makes development and merging
> simpler is just a reason to do it.

Presumably they'd want the last released version...

Anyway I'm just dubious about moving most userland code into the kernel;
udev, klibc, etc.  I think it makes more things harder than it does
easier.

But like Kristian said, it's really a separate discussion from making a
more standalone libdrm repo.  Nothing stops you (or anyone else) from
taking that new repo and proposing it for inclusion in the kernel.