2009/11/22 Miguel Botón <mbo...@gmail.com>:
> This patch adds an option to force low power mode.
>
> If this option is enabled, the engine will be downclocked for less power
> consumption. This can be very useful for people with noisy cards (like mine).

We discussed we will want static power management eventually, but I
believe we want this in other form.

First this should use values for engine/memory parsing AtomBIOS data
table. So it's the same thing I want to have for my dynamic
downclocking.

Then we should make it possible to enable/disable this static
downclockin on the fly. For that we will need to think about some API.
Maybe we could implement that in debugfs first, but not sure if this
is worth. That way we will use some find of workaround for something
we will finally have rewrite anyway. The problem is what API should we
use.

Should that be some new device class? Or maybe some ioctl? Maybe we
should expand xrandr for per-GPU properties?

--
Rafał