I'm one of the Xorg stack maintainer for ArchLinux distribution. We are
a rolling release distribution and have the intention to ship always the
latest stable release of all projects. We prefer KISS way and usually
don't patch anything unless it's essentially needed. And we like the
bleading edge corner.

We want to ship packages with all new features wherever possible. But
we have to make sure, that at least 2D is always working and 3D should
be stable and fast. We know we will often run into bugs first but our
community likes it - see us as a big testing group for you :)

Right now we have problems to sort out what is the way upstream
developers recommend to put all graphic cards code together. Release
announcement don't explicitly say what is usable together and what is
not. With every release we run into new issues and situation is
becoming more complicated.

That's why we ask for your recommendations what is already usable and
worth packing.

1) kernel drm modules:
Is it enough to ship the latest stable kernel? Or do you recommend
drm-next or any other branch replacing the the default kernel modules
in /lib/modules/${_kernver}/updates/ ? We are thinking about such
additional packages we can update more often if needed (we did so in
the past for nouveau-drm).
Do you recommend to enable kms now by default for all chips?

2) libdrm
What configuration is recommended? Is enable eperimental api code
needed and recommended for for certain chips?

3) mesa
Do you still recommend 7.6.1? When will it make sense to package 7.7?
When Xorg 1.8 is out or when will the driver make use of 7.7 features?

4) Driver packages should be announced clearly on what they depend.
Maybe better or more clear branching is needed.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

-Andreas Radke