Hi Greg,

>>> the last time I checked, the majority of drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c has been
>>> written by myself. Now go and compare btusb.c to btmtk_usb.[ch].

>>> Yes, we are doing exactly that. It is a staging driver. I could not care
>>> less if a staging drivers breaks the build or not.
>>>
>>> If anybody cares about this driver, then take the time to merge it
>>> upstream. It has never been submitted to linux-bluetooth mailing list.
>>>
>>> There are drivers that should have never been merged into staging.
>>> This is one of them. Look for yourself and explain to me why this
>>> driver is part of staging in the first place.
>>
>> Because it was sent to me by a developer?
>
> it is a problem when staging just becomes a dumping ground for drivers that
> the distributions find somewhere on the Internet or CD-ROMs. And then nobody
> has any intentions to clean up and integrate properly. This one did not even
> go through linux-bluetooth mailing list once. It was submitted right to
> staging. And then the submitter walked away.

and if I quote the TODO file:

  TODO:
          - checkpatch.pl clean
          - determine if the driver should not be using a duplicate
            version of the usb-bluetooth interface code, but should
            be merged into the drivers/bluetooth/ directory and
            infrastructure instead.
          - review by the bluetooth developer community

  Please send any patches for this driver to Yu-Chen, Cho <a...@suse.com> and
  jay.h...@mediatek.com

So from the submission we can assume that the submitter knew that this was
duplicated code. The code also never got submitted for review to
linux-bluetooth. And now 6 month later, none of the TODO items have been
actually worked on.

I do not know what your timeline is for removing drivers from staging, but this
one seems to be a good candidate to get removed next.

Regards

Marcel