Hi,

On 14-06-17 15:40, Michael Thayer wrote:
Hello Hans,

14.06.2017 15:30, Hans de Goede wrote:
[Discussion of vboxvideo and vboxguest driver clean-up.]
As I already mentioned in previous mails on this, for the vboxguest driver
my plan is to simply do a fork and remove anything related to the
portability. It currently weighs in at 100000+ lines of code which is a bit
much for what it does I believe I will be able to get a Linux only version
of it down to a small fraction of that and the result will be a much
cleaner
and better driver.

FWIW I've already stared looking into cleaning up the vboxguest driver and
my first target is to remove all dependencies on the r0drv code.

Moving off-topic, but please let me know if you set up a git repository
for it as you did for vboxvideo.

Will do.

Do you have plans (applies to
vboxvideo too) for how to merge changes to our code into the cleaned-up
code?

The git repo will have an "upstream" branch which will contain the vboxguest
dir from the tarbal created by the src/VBox/Additions/linux/export_modules
script. My plan is to sync that branch regularly by coping over a fresh
copy of that dir, then commit that as a commit on top of the previous
sync and look at the git diff to see what changed. Then where necessary
I will port over the changes to the cleaned up version.

>Of course, I am open to patches or suggestions as to how to
simplify the code in our repository as long as they do not affect other
platforms (vboxguest builds and runs for five different operating system
kernels).

Regards
Michael

Regards,