On 10/24/2017 08:24 AM, txt.file wrote:
Hey Linux wireless list,

A while ago I bought an ALFA Network AWUS036AC[0] which does not yet
seem to be supported in Linux mainline. I would like to get it supported.

The problem is that I have not that much experience doing software
development.

kind regards
txt.file

PS: Please keep me in CC as I am not subscribed to the lists.

[0] https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ALFA_Network_AWUS036AC

I can provide you with an out-of-kernel driver for the RTL8812AU. Please be aware that these Realtek USB drivers require many changes before they can be accepted into even the staging tree of the kernel. One other consideration is that staging drivers should (must?) have a definite path for inclusion into the main kernel trees. For wireless, this means using mac80211. For these Realtek drivers with their own MAC code, that is a major change.

My suggestion is that you work to get your device handled by driver rtl8xxxu, which is in the kernel. I have no idea how much effort that would be, but certainly a lot less than converting the Realtek driver.

Larry

PS: Please keep the list in the Cc as I tend to disregard private requests for consulting!