On 1/2/19 10:28 PM, Alexey Skidanov wrote:

On 1/3/19 12:37 AM, Laura Abbott wrote:
On 12/20/18 1:29 PM, Alexey Skidanov wrote:

On 12/20/18 10:36 PM, Laura Abbott wrote:
On 12/16/18 2:46 AM, Alexey Skidanov wrote:
Chunk heap instantiation should be supported for device tree platforms
and
non device tree platforms. For device tree platforms, it's a platform
specific code responsibility to retrieve the heap configuration data
and to call the appropriate API for heap creation. For non device tree
platforms, there is no defined way to create the heaps.

This patch provides the way of chunk heaps creation using
"ion_chunk_heap=name:size@start" kernel boot parameter.

I've been thinking about this and I think it works but
I'm still kind of torn about not having devicetree bindings.
It doesn't _preclude_ devicetree bindings but I'd hate to
merge this and then end up with something incompatible.
I do want to support non-Android use cases too.
Sorry, what do you mean by non-Android cases?

Any user of Ion that isn't tied to Android. This includes other
userspace frameworks as well as non-devicetree targets.

Sorry, don't follow you ... I tested the patch on Ubuntu machine - so
the non-Android and non-devicetree case is obviously supported :)

This patch _doesn't_ provide the required support for devicetree
bindings and Android use case. I'm trying to balance wanting
to support this use case with knowing that the Android use
case is still unsolved.

Laura