On Tue 29/6/2021, at 9:47 pm, roy...@gmail.com wrote:

>> That itself wouldn't be a problem if we could just crypt all incoming
>> password attempts before checking a username's existence - the problem is
>> that the password crypt algorithm can vary per user, so the time will vary
>> too. We have to guess which algorithm to use for unknown users. So rather
>> than adding some complicated logic I just limited the password length.
>
> OK I got it. But does the risk become higher if I change
> DROPBEAR_MAX_PASSWORD_LEN to higher value. for example, 200?

If a successful login for a 200 char password takes longer than ~250ms
(svr-auth.c send_msg_userauth_failure()) then it's probably possible to figure
if usernames exist on a system. That may or may not be a security problem
depending on the situation. The length will depend on the speed and crypt
algorithms of the system.

Cheers,
Matt