Hello Mark,

wouldn't the bitstream based embargo with advanced settings kind of do
the trick. This step is available in the workflow.
You can restrict individual bitstream to a group and set the date to the
actual date, thus the policy would take effekt immediately.
The drawback is, that the step will be used both for submission and
workflow. Other than e.g. the input forms fields the steps are not
configurable as to their visibility in submission/workflow.

Sunny Greetings

Claudia