Dear developers,

we installed DSpace 6.x at our institute and implemented an arXiv provider
for the "2016 Framework for live import from external sources" (
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/2016+Framework+for+live+import+from+external+sources)

which we want to give back to the community. As far as I understand there's
a feature freeze for DSpace 6, new features can only be added to DSpace 7.
I'm willing to port our arXiv code to the DSpace 7 code base, but it seems
that the framework isn't even integrated yet.

We discussed this issue internally and I was given permission to port the
DSpace 6 "2016 Framework for live import from external sources" to DSpace 7
in my work time. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be as straightforward
as I would have expected and I'm still a bit confused. Can you please help
me in understanding the following issues?

   - I could not find a roadmap entry for porting the existing framework to
   DSpace 7, did I miss something?
   - In DSpace 7 the whole import process seems to be tied to a new
   submission wizard (
   https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Submission+wizard), yet there
   doesn't seem to be a consensus yet. Is this right?
   - Is there any plan to have a user-driven import of metadata from
   existing sources, namely arXiv, PubMed etc.?

I'm still motivated to give the arXiv code back, but I think I need a bit
more guidance on where to start.

Kind regards,
Hendrik Geßner