The custom embargo plugin for my own site (I wrote the prototype implementation so I've had an advance look..) actually does something along these lines: It checks one DC metadata field for the embargo date, and another one for a condition that would place the item under "permanent embargo", so there are effectively two different metadata- driven access policy settings.

The major limitation in hijacking the embargo framework to do this job is that the embargo mechanism only calls the method that sets policies if the Item is actually deemed to be under embargo. You could simply declare all items to be under embargo to trigger the policy-setter, but that is counter-intuitive (especially if you also really use the embargo date to impose different policies for the embargo period). It might be very puzzling to anyone taking over the maintenance of your repository.

On the other hand, if you do add a separate framework for fine-grained access control by metadata, then it has to be integrated with the embargo system so that when the embargo is lifted, the "default" policies are derived from the metadata as they would be in an embargo- less submission.

  -- Larry