On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Tim Donohue (JIRA) wrote:

> [15:40] <kshepherd> DS-470 +1 to the general idea, but graham had some
> reasonable objections to viewing "speeding up batch jobs" as a priority over
> "reducing system load"

I'd like to point out that this has never been substantiated, and that we
have so far made clear that system load goes UP at the same time as these
batches SLOW DOWN. I don't know where you get this idea from that speeding
up batch times would negatively affect overall system performance.

The best way to reduce system impact here is to reduce the number of times
the indexes get pruned to 1 from N, rather than to do still do them (N-1)
times too many but slightly faster.

--
Tom De Mulder <td...@cam.ac.uk> - Cambridge University Computing Service
                     New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QH