Well it looks like I have unintentionally put an stick into a hornet's
nest...  :)

We were investigating miscellaneous repository systems based on Java.
And finally decided to build our solution on DSpace.  It is widely used
(which means it works in real-life environments), has nice web ui (or
even two), that is what made us choose DSpace.  Alas, DSpace lacks some
nice solutions for affiliations.

Let's improve it :)  Or may be there is already ongoing effort to do it
in DSpace 2?

We (at ICM) need to stick to DC standards, as OAI support is vital in
our environment(s).

--
Mateusz