On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Tim Donohue <tdono...@duraspace.org> wrote:
> Hi Mark W,
>
> Unfortunately, your suggestion to change directories doesn't seem to
> matter.  Locally, on my own machine, I can achieve the same error
> messages whether I run this command from [dspace-source] or
> [dspace-source]/dspace/
>
> mvn package test -Dmaven.test.skip=false
>
> So, I don't think it's a problem with Bamboo (or how Bamboo is setup to
> run).  I think it's a problem with our Maven pom.xml files -- as I can
> achieve the same errors even without using Bamboo.

As I said. And we will want to consider Bamboo a "test execution
environment" we may do releasing there sometime soon.  But doing the
complete  assembly there yet isn't a requirement for the release.

>  From what I've been able to tell searching around online, it's possible
> Maven is getting confused about dependency management.  Digging into our
> pom.xml files, we have a ton of repetition between POMs -- where a child
> POM overwrites dependencies/settings with the same values as their
> parent POM.

yes, the dspace-ui-shared not getting attached.

> I've done some cleaning of the Discovery POMs locally (which seem to be
> the messiest and most repetitive -- likely cause it used to be a totally
> separate module).  I *believe* I just succeeded in fixing the error
> reported in the building & testing of 'dspace-discovery-xmlui-webapp'.
> Unfortunately, now I'm getting the *exact same* error in the building &
> testing of 'dspace-xmlui-webapp' (again, based on 'dspace-xmlui-api'
> being unable to be copied properly).  So, this may not be a single
> problem caused by a single POM -- it may be a problem of how several of
> our POMs are currently interacting (especially those that depend on
> 'dspace-xmlui-api').

I don't think that discovery was the original problem I was
experiencing on my end. And that you are now having the same problem I
am.  Whcih version maven are you building with, we need to try to be
on 2.2.1 or greater.

> After some more testing, I will commit some of my initial cleanup.  Even
> if it doesn't fix the entire problem yet, it seems to be getting closer
> to some sort of resolution.

The fixes I proposed are about 6 lines of code that clearup the issue
for getting bamboo to operate properly.  Likewise, as long as tests
are run as mvn test -Paddons from the [dspace-src] you should be safe
with the assembly process working.

> Essentially, I believe our POMs need some overhaul -- we aren't taking
> advantage of inheritance in many places, and it seems like it may be
> confusing Maven to some extent.  The smaller we can make most of the
> POMs the better.

We need to be very cautious about using inheritance in poms, the
asyncronous release and the usage of dspace-pom as an external pom are
there for a specific purpose.  I've gone through the things that
should and should not be inherited several time in tuning it up. The
more you inherit, the fewer options you leave for turning things off
in the children.

> - Tim
>
> On 11/11/2010 1:49 PM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>> I note that the build seems to start in [DSpace-source] rather than
>> [DSpace-source]/dspace.  Strange things happen when doing that.  I've
>> never worked out why.  It definitely makes the Reactor build in a
>> different order.

>> Centralized Desktop Delivery: Dell and VMware Reference Architecture
>> Simplifying enterprise desktop deployment and management using
>> Dell EqualLogic storage and VMware View: A highly scalable, end-to-end
>> client virtualization framework. Read more!
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/dell-eql-dev2dev

Mark R. Diggory
@mire - www.atmire.com
533 2nd Street - Encinitas, CA 92024 - USA
Technologielaan 9 - 3001 Heverlee - Belgium