Hi All,

Modules
The modularizing the DSpace codebase proposal is going to require project
restructuring. The benefits to us all is that unused modules (in my case
LNI, SWORD, JSPUI) can be disabled/dropped from my view of the project
all-together. And then on the positives, new developments in DSpace that I'm
interested in using become easier or just more evident on how to enable
them.

Adding a new module to DSpace is as easy as editing a pom.
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace/pom.xml#L502
I should be able to just simply edit that and add an entry for the REST API,
or for WebMVC and when the project gets rebuilt, it has a new module
attached.

Project Restructuring
There is a minimum necessary amount of project rearrangement needed for this
pick-and-choose modularization mechanism to work smoothly. Mainly the
current [dspace-source]/dspace directory has to be off on its own in the
code repository. It shouldn't have a parent pom, and dspace-jspui,
dspace-xmlui, etc shouldn't be its "neighbors". JSPUI, and XMLUI should
become pluggable modules that one enables to have as the web interface to
their DSpace repository.

Note: I'm still fuzzy on the implementation specifics, especially with
regards to where dspace-api goes. But the [dspace-source]/dspace project is
highly dependent on a lot of Java classes that are banded together to give
us our data model, and actions available to perform on objects. I'll punt on
dspace-api.

With the restructuring, there becomes several new entries to the modules
directory in SVN. As we essentially move everything there. For each one of
these modules or projects, we all know who is particularly knowledgeable
about them, and we all know our own personal knowledge of them.

Here's my rough analysis of the refactorable projects, and my best guess as
to who is/has been active on them.
JSPUI - We all cut our teeth here, and several people are still maintaining
their customizations.
XMLUI - Experts include Scott Phillips, but lots of us are active with this
daily.
Discovery - Experts on this are Kevin Van de Velde and the rest of @mire.
Additionally NZ is making use of it.
LNI - Robert Tansley??, Nobody?
OAI - Kim and Robin have been active lately
Stats/Solr - @mire, Peter, Stuart
SWORD - Stuart, NZ, others

Things that only existed as modules, and are mostly just a person's "pet"
project:
REST - Bojan. There are a few other people who have dug in.
WebMVC - Graham, Peter
DSpace-Project-With-Funny-Name - Mark Diggory
...and many others, @Needs Documentation

Either way, everyone who's been approved as a committer is still an approved
committer. However, some people don't touch certain projects because they're
not familiar with them, and they'd prefer to have a more knowledgeable
person look their proposed changes to it over first. People who are not
marked as being a "DSpace Committer", though they are active and have
contributions are typically limited in access to the code through Jira.

So, the reason why many people have volunteered Git, is that it seems like a
natural fit. However, I'll suggest the same medicine that was given to me,
and remind that its a tool, and should not be confused with what is
actually necessary to pull off the migration/restructuring. Maybe its just
that restructuring the project to suit maven and modules has a cost, so
would migrating to Git, so it also seems like an opportune moment. Note that
even if no projects migrated to Git, the module restructuring would work
just fine. However, depending on how much time you have, I could fill your
ear off on why I think Git+GitHub is fantastic. For now I think that we
would all be satisfied with a blanket statement that projects don't need to
live in SVN (or Git) for that matter to be connected as a module. A
commercial module could live in a black box. Another module could be local
file system. The base agreement is that free/open modules will have code
that is freely available and visible through multiple means. (Download a
zip, visit the web interface, check out the code from repo.). You can also
contribute improvements to them.

Another thought is that the module restructuring should still make it easy
for a developer to go from 0 to 60 as easily as possible. (For those on
metric, 0 to 100). So you can start with a minimal setup of dspace, that
fetches everything from magic maven. And with a few changes to your pom, and
a few svn/git checkouts of source to your filesystem, your next rebuild
could have every imaginable DSpace module installed on your system. So that
you the developer of module-X who suspects that a bug in a higher up project
is causing you problems can quick make a change to the code you got for
module/ dspace-api / org.dspace.content.Community.findAllTop, to see if that
fixes what is happening in your module.

The meaning of "asynchronous" perhaps is the red herring. But if Stuart is
busy chugging away at SWORD, and finishes Sword 2.0, and I'm still on DSpace
1.7. I could edit a few lines in my pom to make it pull the latest module.
Either through having version ranges that say, sorry, sticking to sword 1.x
[1.0.0 TO 1.9.9], or more or less open ended sword x.y [0.0 TO 9.9].
Re-running maven, should have it pick up the latest sword release from the
maven repos. If you understand how xmlui's language i18n tags are versioned,
then this should make sense to you. Other projects such as LNI that haven't
had a new version released in some time would still be on 1.0 for several
years. However, there is nothing forbidding another developer from jumping
in and implementing AtomPub or CMIS, on top of the existing WebDAV
functionality there. Then LNI has its asynchronous bump to 2.0, which has no
implications for other modules so long as everything plays by the rules.

Peter Dietz