This will require some more time to look at it. The problem with using
"http://"; is because it is treated as a completely separate web request by
cocoon which means that a new DSpace context as created an it ties up a
database connection. Cocoon does a little bit of magic The default install
of dspace set's the database pool size to 30, it's realistic to have a 100
or more items displayed on a page. That means it's conceivable you would
exhaust your database pool with one web request. I'm sure there's some other
problem that needs to be tracked down, this might work as a short-term fix
for a small repository but I doubt it would be effective in the long run.

Scott--